August Bank Holiday Weekend Events
We will officially begin our weekend in a few hours. Some of you have taken this Friday off and are already enjoying some time off.
If you don’t already have plans for this weekend or if you’re out of ideas, we have some suggestions for you. 3 festivals are taking place around Dublin this Bank Holiday Weekend: Castle Palooza Music and Arts Festival, Indiependence Music and Arts Festival and Le Cheile Arts and Music Festival. Those of you that want to spend the weekend in the city can enjoy a few concerts in Dublin.
Castle Palooza Music and Arts Festival
Location: Charleville Castle, Tullamore
Charleville Castle in Tullamore is much more than just another festival venue. This 17th century castle is hidden away in Ireland’s oldest primordial oak woods. Its beautiful location is made all that more attractive given that it is located right in the middle of Ireland – so easily accessible from all major cities.
– 3 day ticket, including castle camping: €85 + booking fee
– 3 day ticket, no camping: €65 + booking fee
– Sunday only, no camping: €35 + booking fee
Lineup: The Charlatans, Ghostpoet, King Charles, Jape, Scroobious Pip, Donal Dineen, Solar Bears, Plaid, Hal, La Galaxie, Little Green Cars and many more.
Indiependence Music and Arts Festival
Ok, this one’s not really close to Dublin, but on a Bank Holiday weekend we can take a longer trip, especially when the festival it’s worth the trip. And judging by the line-up and the fact that Indiependence 2011 was nominated for “Best Small Festival “- European Awards 2011, it is obvious that it’s worth the trip.
Location: Deer Park, Mitchelstown, co. Cork
Multiple stages across a wonderful tree lined 52 acre site overlooked by the Galtee Mountains.
– 3 day camping ticket – €99, including booking fee
– 3 day non-camping tickets – €79, including booking fee
– 3 day campervan ticket – €60, including booking fee (one ticket per campervan)
You can buy tickets online from Tickets.ie , Supervalue stores nationwide, Mitchelstown post office and a few other locations
Lineup: 2manydj’s, The Coronas, Feeder, British Sea Power, Maverick Sabre and many more.
Le Cheile Arts and Music Festival
Location: Oldcastle, Co. Meath. 3 stages
Tickets: Acts are grouped in mini-events and tickets are available from €10. More details about the tickets here.
Lineup: Bressie, The Walls, Republic of Loose, Paddy Casey, The Barley Mob and many others.
– The Bambir – Fission Fridays at Sweeneys from midnight
The Bambir is an armenian rock band currently based in Dublin. We’ve just discovered them, but you’ll hear more about them, so watch this space.
– The Barley Mob @ The Spout Kilcullen. More details here.
– Feeder @ The Academy Dublin. More details here.
– The Bambir – Dublin Zombie Walk afterparty at The Gypsy Rose. Watch their Facebook page for the exact time. All we know is that they’ll have a good 2 hour set and they’re ready to have fun.
– Sliotar @ The Porterhouse, Temple Bar
– Agnostic Front @ Eden Quay, from 6 PM. More details here